About This Blog

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints. And on this blog, I share some of the things I believe in with you (in case you're interested) in addition to the church talks I gave in the past.

A word of warning: I DO NOT like to sugarcoat my thoughts and experiences. I express my thoughts in a direct and honest manner. And sometimes, the truth is hard and hurtful to hear. If you're offended by anything I say regarding my experiences in the Church, then I suggest you not read this blog. I am in no way trying to denounce anything regarding the Church but to promote the good of it. I am also attempting to show that Mormons (as we are generally called) are not weird people but normal people going about doing good in our communities.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Alma 17:23

And Ammon said unto him: Yea, I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yea, and perhaps until the day I die.

This was another one of my themes that motivated me throughout my mission in Japan. This scripture was shared by another companionship in my district at the Missionary Training Center during a District Meeting and it has stuck with me ever since. Indeed, Ammon is among my favorite missionary role-models and his determined desire to dwell among the Lamanites for a time, and perhaps until the day he dies stirred up an attitude within me. Back then, I was dwelling among a certain group of people (namely the Japanese people) and I did have a desire to serve them. And my heart would always be with them long after I would transfer out of an area or leave the mission field at the end of my service.

Though times are different now and missionaries only serve for two years or eighteen months, not to mention that I've been off my mission for well over two years now, I still hold on to that sense of Ammon's spirit and determination-filled attitude. I like to think that no matter where we go, even as we leave those we come to love and hold dear, our hearts will always be with them, even until the day we die and perhaps afterwards... This has become even more my case since the events of last year when two of my relatives and a former mission companion died. And though I've been off my mission for over two years now, my heart is still with the people I served and worked with. Same goes to the people I've met and associated with recently, and those who I am currently among.

No comments:

Post a Comment